[Peakoil] Oil companies under fire over ethanol supply

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Aug 11 18:10:03 EST 2006

 From http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1712232.htm

Oil companies under fire over ethanol supply

Queensland Nationals Senator Ron Boswell says oil companies must
start giving contracts out to people who want to build ethanol plants.

BP and Caltex are to discount their ethanol blended fuel, E10, so
that it is three cents a litre cheaper than regular unleaded petrol.

Senator Boswell says it is a good start, but the problem is there are
still only three ethanol plants in Australia.

"No one can build an ethanol plant unless they have a contract to
produce ethanol for an oil company and those contracts are not going
out to any new players," he said.

Greens Senator Christine Milne welcomes the discount, but questions
the timing.

"The fact that the oil companies can now discount the fuel under the
threat of the ACCC suggests that they could have taken this position
earlier," she said.

Queensland Nationals president and federal MP Bruce Scott is calling
on Shell to also reduce the cost of ethanol blended petrol.

"I'm calling now on Shell to follow the lead of the other two oil
companies and to pass on the benefit of E10, in the terms of lower
prices, to the consumer," he said.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au