[Peakoil] Labor queries Howard's petrol calculations

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Tue Aug 8 22:26:47 EST 2006

 From http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200608/s1709954.htm

Labor queries Howard's petrol calculations

Prime Minister John Howard has been forced to defend comments he made
earlier this week about the price of petrol.

Mr Howard said he hoped bowser prices might fall to $1.15 a litre.

Labor MP Joel Fitzgibbon has questioned Mr Howard's calculations.

Mr Fitzgibbon says the last time petrol was $1.15 a litre, crude oil
cost about $US60 per barrel.

"Compared to the budget forecast of more than $US70 per barrel and
current prices of around $US70 per barrel," Mr Fitzgibbon said.

Mr Howard says he was not trying to make an educated projection on
what where prices might go, rather he was hoping prices will fall.

"I gave no time frame to it, and I don't in any way withdraw what I
said," Mr Howard said.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is to extend its
monitoring of fuel prices to include ethanol fuel.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au