[Peakoil] News items from Canberra Times Thu, 3 Aug 2006

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu Aug 3 12:34:28 EST 2006

Much about the interest rates rise today as there has been over the
last few days. An interesting argument seems to be that the bananas
don't matter as that's a one-off and petrol doesn't matter because
that's global and effects all countries therefore the Reserve Bank
shouldn't have put interest rates up!

Global warming will increase the severity and frequency of climatic
extremes so we should expect more economically damaging weather events.

With peak oil we will take a hit along with the rest of the world as
fuel prices continue to lift.
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

"Jacked-up jet fuel real terror for airlines" p.16

Qantas chairwoman Margaret Jackson says fuel prices are a bigger
threat to Qantas than terrorism, SARS or the Asian tsunami. In two
years fuel has listed from 13 to 30% of operating costs.

Comment: When fuel was a minor part of the costs structure rises
didn't hurt too much. Now it is becoming a major part of the costs
rises will feed directly into ticket prices. Don't invest in airlines.

Tony

Feral Librarian | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au
P: 02 6241 7659 | tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
M: 04 1242 0397 | tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au