[Peakoil] Peak oil and climate change

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Wed Aug 2 20:25:09 EST 2006

The confluence of peak oil and climate change - a teensy peek into the
future from today's New York Times.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com

  Generators Generate Love and Hate in Queens
By MICHELLE O’DONNELL

Published: August 2, 2006

At first, no one in the brick apartment buildings on 51st Street in
Woodside, Queens, complained about the giant white trailer that
appeared at the curb.

About the size of a cargo container, the trailer, which houses an
800-kilowatt generator, and a service truck gobbled up about seven
parking spaces, on a street where spaces are as prized as truffles.

“Five days I have no air-conditioner, no elevator,” said Consuelo Boza,
one of the generator’s champions, as she and her houseguests from Spain
navigated a narrow passage to a car that was double-parked on the
street. “But they put this here and I have everything.”

But there was also no parking, Ms. Boza was told.

“Yeah, but I don’t care,” she said.

Across parts of western Queens, noisy, diesel-fuel-guzzling generators
have become a common sight, continuing to supply power to thousands of
Consolidated Edison customers.

  Although the blackout officially ended last week, the utility company
is still using 19 generators at some sites in Long Island City,
Sunnyside, Woodside and Astoria where it is still repairing damaged
feeder cables. It is using another 19 generators to supply power to
densely populated buildings in an effort to reduce the pressure on an
already overtaxed grid, according to Alfonso Quiroz, a spokesman for
the utility.

And some private businesses, wary of new electric failures as
temperatures soar, have opted to power their buildings with their own
generators.

One result is a cross between urban crisis and open-air movie set, as
yellow police tape cordons off swaths of curbs and the generator
technicians sit back as if in director’s chairs, taking in the scenery.
The industrial street furniture is simply part of post-blackout life in
Queens, and most residents of 51st Street — like Ms. Boza, now able to
enjoy electricity — have taken it in stride.

But when one of the technicians for the company supplying the
generators, H. O. Penn, asked a resident what kind of Christmas
ornaments would be appropriate for a generator, there was an outcry
that quickly spread. (The technician, who would not give his name, said
it was only a joke.)

It turned out that the generators, as wonderful as they were for
supplying power, were a bit like houseguests — not very welcome over
the long haul.

Part of the problem, residents say, has been the days of breathing
diesel fumes.

Rosemarie McHugh, a retiree, said the fumes from the diesel fuel were
rising up to her fifth-floor windows and left her feeling sick.

“I just don’t understand why Con Ed doesn’t have this resolved by now,”
she said yesterday as she folded laundry.

Eric Kessel, 34, a packaging designer who lives in the same building,
said he and his wife could see the fumes rising near their fourth-floor
apartment. “When I wake up in the morning, it stinks,” he said. “It
just hangs there.”

Mr. Quiroz said the fuel the utility was using had a low sulfur
content, 0.05 percent. The sulfur content determines how dirty the
emissions will be. And it is no small amount of fuel that the
generators burn. An 800-kilowatt generator like the one on 51st Street
can hold 550 gallons of fuel, and needs to be refilled every 10 hours,
said Chris Olert, another Con Edison spokesman.

Several calls yesterday to H. O. Penn in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., seeking
additional information about its generators were not returned.

The generators are not cheap. For small generators, 200-kilowatt and
400-kilowatt machines, the utility pays about $2,300 to $4,500 a week
in rental fees, Mr. Quiroz said. He did not know how much the utility
paid to rent the larger machines. Diesel fuel can run into thousands of
dollars per generator each 24 hours.

For keeping customers supplied with power, however, the generators have
been worth the expense, though it is not one that the company might be
finished with soon.

  “I don’t think we have a clear sense of how long the generators are
going to be there,” Mr. Quiroz said.