[Peakoil] Terror laws may not be for terrorists

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Fri Sep 30 14:16:51 EST 2005

Hi folks,

Thinking about the recent terror laws, the public debate about them was
pretty thin. The Premiers met the PM without (apparently) knowing exactly
what the proposed laws were. The public justification for the laws was
vague.

The hold-outs, including Jon Stanhope, were apparently convinced in a
briefing from the AFP and ASIO.

I don't think the new laws are to protect us against terrorists. I also
have some doubts as to whether the laws are intended to attack the
political enemies of the Federal or state Governments.

Rather, I think the laws may be a last-minute measure to pre-empt the
enormous social unrest to come. The world financial system is highly
imbalanced, and Peak Oil is more than enough to push it over. There are
going to be lots of angry people. Broke small businesses, home owners with
massive negative equity, bankrupt ex home-owners, angry unemployed people
with nothing to occupy their time, truckers blockading highways etc...

Consider the preventative detention powers. Any well-funded intelligence
agency would be best off just monitoring terror suspects (or small groups
of harmless political activists). That way evidence can be collected,
appropriate charges can be laid, and long jail terms sought.

But ASIO etc can't monitor thousands of angry people threatening to create
chaos (blockading roads etc) but who haven't necessarily committed a crime.
Instead, ASIO would prefer to detain those people so they can "calm down"
for a couple of weeks. Police do not want to go to all the time and effort
of giving them each a slap on the wrist and a minor criminal conviction.

The current detain-and-interview powers are not appropriate because then
there would be some obligation to interview each of the thousands of
detainees, or else release them.

If this is the motivation for the terror laws it would be fascinating to
know who is in the know.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list