[Peakoil] Oil and food supply lines

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Mon Jun 27 12:08:45 EST 2005

Hi folks,

http://act-peakoil.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=future_canberra

Thinking about future scenarios of oil scarcity, how would food and oil
itself be moved around Australia? I assume below oil is practically
pricesless, in the sense that its use is strictly for essential purposes
only.

>From the point of view of the Canberra, the population centres are all on
the coast. So the food supply lines will run between rural areas and Sydney
etc. Population pressure and the wealth of Sydney may mean that substantial
population centres like the ACT may be bypassed.

Also, oil comes from coastal ports since it comes from underwater or is
imported. I don't know of any inland oil source in Australia. So places
like Canberra will be relying on the oil to flow inland. The only way the
population centres like Sydney will allow this is if the oil is being used
to transport and grow food, for them. Canberra doesn't make food, so why
would we get oil to transport food to us?

Eventually things would probably get bad enough for the outer areas of
major cities to start becoming like Macquarie fields x1000. Supply lines
would require police support. Instead more food may be delivered to coastal
cities by boat.

A good option would be rail. It has been long-neglected and we can't start
on this soon enough. As long as the food-growers are happy selling produce
to desperate Sydney-siders, and get a relatively generous supply of fuel by
government mandate, the National Party constituency would be happy, so
maybe rail would not be a priority.

With our neglected rail system, regional Australians may be confined to
their localities. Coach services would not be subsidised since they serve
no purpose for Sydney (witness the dismantling of the rail system by NSW
state governments). Regional Australia would be captive to the local powers-
that-be, who in turn would derive their power from growing food for Sydney.
Not far from serfdom.

Would Canberra be dependent on the Federal Government not just for income,
but for mandated access to the food supply lines?

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://www.act-peakoil.org