[Peakoil] Presentation to NSW MLCs

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Thu Jun 23 09:16:36 EST 2005

The Sydney Peak Oil group has done a presentation to most of the Upper
House cross-bench MLCs.

Looks like they could their attention.

We should organise something like this.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://www.act-peakoil.org

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

Buttons to push for Greens? We found some yesterday! Ian Cohen loved
our "cross
benchers briefing" yesterday, and has asked us back in September to show a
movie (an
abridged EOS? we're working on it) and have a Q&A forum. We are working on
a "Top 100
questions" preparation for the forum, with short sexy answers in soundbytes.

Cross benchers are Members of the Legislative Council (MLC's) or State
Upper house. The
cross benchers present were:

Fred Nile, Arthur Chesterfield-Evans, Ian Cohen, Gordon Moyes, Sylvia Hale,
Lee Rhianon,
Peter Breen, Peter Wong, John Jenkins

Cross bench members not in attendance, David Oldfield, John Tingle

This feedback came to Louise in our group from Hazel Blunden...

"Hi Louise,

"Arthur Chesterfield Evans (Democrats) started going on about peak oil and
the Saudi
fields in his speech about the terrorism legislation bill. Checkout Hansard
for Legislative
Council tomorrow - I think it's at www.parliament.nsw.gov.au

"Tell the others - you have made an impact on the cross benchers - well
done!"

So now the hard work begins preparing for the BIG presentation to the
Greens in a
auditorium with a NSW focussed EOS movie and forum. Louise is revved up to
present eco-
city material she has been working on in her PHD. In all, I am glad Sydney
Peak Oil have
some seriously qualified individuals that impress even MLC's.

My favourite moments from the Briefing....

My favourite moments from the NSW's Senators cross bench briefing

1/ Rowan laying down the facts.
Fact after fact was laid out in meticulous order. Hubbert's peak, his
correct prediction for
the 1970's peak in the US, the water cut in Ghawar, everything just kept on
coming.

2/ This was accompanied by Ian's brilliant display cards. The presentation
was a hit. The
groundwork concepts kept flowing while the cards illustrated the basics.
They thanked us
for a great presentation.

3/ Favourite moments...
An MLC asked, "So, you said that the American peak was in 1970. What is
this peak you're
talking about?" We of course answered, "This is the world peak." There was
a moment's
pause, as the implications slowly registered. We had their attention — our
concern was
finally being shared by the MLC's.

Then the usual questions started emerging
 Fred Nile burst out

"So what's the answer? What about Nuclear? I've been saying we should use
Nuclear for
years!" Hydrogen also came up, and there were some other quick exchanges
about
renewable energy options that were basically the pollies having their say.

4/ But finally we came back to the concept of it being a world peak and
decline of oil
production, and we managed to slip in the line
 "This is going to be like
the 1970's oil
crisis, but this time it's here to stay." At that, one of the MLC's burst
out "So what are
governments and corporations DOING about it?"

The irony was so thick I was tongue tied for a moment. Here we were,
presenting peak oil
to the government in the hopes of illustrating just what a serious
predicament we are in,
and a Members starts asking us what governments were doing about it? I am
amazed that
we had the self-discipline not to respond, "Diddly squat is what you've
been doing about
it!" This of course would have been accurate, but terribly unfair due to
the fact that they
can only run on the information at hand. And we all know where our Federal
Governments
have been getting their information.

Somehow, I uttered
 "Well John Anderson has admitted that he thinks the
peak is
sometime in the next decade" and fortunately the moment of temptation
passed.

Unfortunately we didn't get to hear much of Louise's solutions to peak oil.
After Rowan's
peak oil presentation, the Members became a little unruly (I think some
were a bit freaked
out) and the Chair had to reign them in. I sensed that some of them were
just starting to
come to grips with the enormity of the consequences. The Greens are keen to
have us
back soon to work through a Forum with us, and hopefully Louise will be
able to do her
sustainable thang then! The Greens guy, Ian Cohen, welcomes peak
oil. "Bring it on!"

I am very encouraged by yesterday's events, and want to sincerely thank
Sydney Peak Oil
for all their hard work and efforts.

Dave
www.sydneypeakoil.com

Founder
www.eclipsenow.org/
"Free peak oil posters for your local notice board. By referring back to
eclipsenow.org the
posters can generate a positive feedback loop informing thousands."