[Peakoil] Small business minister

David Jorm david.jorm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 23:12:06 EST 2005

Today we held the official launch for business.gov.au, the site i've
been re-developing for the past year. Afterwards the minister for
small business, Fran Bailey, came and toured our department. In my
office I have (among an ecletic bunch of posters) a poster asking
"What is your plan for the end of the oil age?". She asked me what I
proposed was the solution and I echoed John Anderson's comments about
the impacts peak oil will have on agriculture and how the dominant
role oil plays in our economy will mean it reverberates throughout the
entire economy, not excluding small business. I said it will require
an orchestrated and pre-emptive response from government and industry
and perhaps she should "raise the issue with both the Johns next time
you see them".

The departmental officials looked quite unimpressed with me, but I
like to think at some point in the future she will pipe up to them
about "this peak oil business" :)

David