[Peakoil] May Be Too Late To Save Australia's Fragile Ecosystems

Nature and Society Forum office at natsoc.org.au
Thu Jul 28 13:57:50 EST 2005

Yes, I know about Allen Consulting.  They are one of the best firms of their kind in Australia.  They work to a contract, however, and you won't always get a balanced view from their reports.  But that's a reflection on their brief, not on their own competence.

They tend to receive briefs from the big end of town (who have the money), but deliver reports that are not written wholly to please their paymasters.  If you get hold of their full report, I expect you will find pointers to alternative views.

One of the heads of Allen Consulting is Vince FitzGerald, a Harvard PhD who headed up the Commonwealth Department DEET when it was formed in 1987.

I thought the reaction of the Minister for the Environment to the report, when he said 'There is no need for panic" was a lot like that character in Dad's Army who, with quavering voice, cries "Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring! Don't Panic!"  The report predicted global temperatures up by 6 degrees by 2100. The last Ice Age was, globally, only five or six degrees lower than it is today.
Keith Thomas
Nature and Society Forum
(02) 6288 0760 (Weekday mornings);  0412 487 625 (Mobile)