[Peakoil] Good article

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Dec 30 13:24:22 EST 2005

The Outlook on Oil
Some Experts Worry That Production Will Soon Peak. Others Warn That
It Already Has.
by Jim Motavalli

http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3004

Some extracts -

But one conclusion is irrefutable: The age of cheap oil is definitely
over, and even as our appetite for it seems insatiable (with world
demand likely to grow 50 percent by 2025), petroleum itself will end
up downsizing.

...He writes in his book Twilight in the Desert, based on
considerable research, that “Saudi Arabian oil production is at or
very near its peak sustainable volume (if it did not, in fact peak
almost 25 years ago), and is likely to go into decline in the very
foreseeable future [emphasis in the original].

...Simmons says that a few “super giant” oil fields in Saudi Arabia
(including the massive Ghawar field, the world’s largest, discovered
in 1953) account for 92 percent of the country’s crude oil output,
and that these fields are aging and suffering from rising “water cut.”

...The implications of this are huge, since Saudi Arabia has the
planet’s largest proven reserves and is the world’s largest oil
exporter, from which the U.S. buys 1.5 million barrels a day (15
percent of our total consumption in 2004).

...Price questions the existence of vast untapped oil reserves in
Saudi Arabia, and points to a 20-year-old study by four American oil
companies, then working with Aramco, that found, according to the New
York Times, “little in the way of undiscovered oil reserves.”

...Respected oil analyst Daniel Yergin, chairperson of Cambridge
Energy Research Associates and author of The Prize, says that
unconventional oil sources (tar sands, ultra-deep-water developments,
natural gas liquids) will account for 30 percent of total capacity by
2010, up from 10 percent today.

...ExxonMobil President Rex Tillerson said in September that as much
as three billion barrels of conventional oil are waiting to be
recovered, and another seven trillion barrels may be lurking in the
aforementioned unconventional sources, including tar sands and oil
shale (see sidebar).

...A Bulletin of Atomic Scientists’ analysis of the report points out
that ExxonMobil sees no significant contribution from oil shale even
by 2030, and only a modest 3.3 percent contribution from Canadian oil
sands (development of which may be hampered by a natural gas
shortfall as described by Julian Darley of the Post Carbon Institute
in his new book High Noon for Natural Gas: The New Energy Crisis).

...API’s Felmy dismisses renewables, and sees a future only for
natural gas hidden in frozen methane hydrates (there are reportedly
vast deposits in the U.S.) and cellulose ethanol, a fuel made from
agricultural waste championed by former CIA chief James Woolsey,
among others.

...“We believe oil markets may have entered the early stages of what
we have referred to as a ‘super spike’ period—a multi-year trading
band of oil prices high enough to meaningfully reduce energy
consumption and recreate a spare capacity cushion only after which
will lower energy prices return,” said company analysts.

...With the oil companies and their supporters in Congress and the
White House not only controlling the debate but assuring the public
that a steady hand is at the tiller, we may very well drift toward
the kind of abrupt collapse Diamond documents as having taken down
the Vikings, the Mayans and the mysterious tribe that inhabited
Easter Island.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au