Rail vandalism Re: [Peakoil] Significant interview

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Wed Aug 31 13:30:10 EST 2005

This is pretty shocking:

"So in the early 1990's, one of the things that the then Queensland
government did was it looked at country rail lines and said, Are these rail
lines efficient? Are they profitable insofar as the number of people
completely covers the cost of operating this service? And where that didn't
stack up we shut the rail lines. But it was a belligerent exercise. We
didn't merely stop operating the trains, we tore up the tracks and sold the
corridors. So I think of it as a belligerent economic rationalism where we
said 'Not only are we not going to do this but we're going to make it
really hard to ever go back.' And so we burned our bridges, literally.
That's, I think, going to be looked on as one of the major policy failings
of the last quarter of a century in Queensland because the idea that rail
had to be profitable for government to offer it, a rail service had to be
profitable, is missing the point about building public infrastructure and
public capacity, and indeed service to the public."

Fortunately the NSW rail authorities have a policy of not selling off rail
corridors, even if the rail line is booked out of use.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://act-peakoil.org