[Peakoil] Fwd: Post Carbon Newsletter #6, 1st August 2005

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Tue Aug 2 10:45:01 EST 2005

Hi folks,

The Post Carbon Institute is dedicated to finding practical ways to live
with less energy.

I have a PDF copy of their upcoming book, all about creating sustainable
communities ( "Outposts" ). I haven't distributed it for copyright reasons.

Below is their latest newsletter.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://act-peakoil.org

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

Post Carbon Newsletter #6, 1st August 2005

 1. We're Still Here!
2. The Relocalization Network Grows – Outpost News in Brief
3. The ASPO Conference
4. Local Energy Farm Initiative
5. Profile: Tony Marmont & Beacon Energy Farm
6. Post Carbon News Updates
7. Post Carbon Institute Gives Peak Oil Presentation in England
8. Next Newsletter Preview 1. We're Still Here!

 Post Carbon Institute has been a proverbial beehive of activity for
the past six months. That fury of activity combined with Internet
technical problems and communications personnel changes resulted in a
dearth of Post Carbon newsletters during this period. To make up for
the lack of news, we will be publishing a newsletter every couple of
weeks during the summer, to bring everyone up to date.

 Technical Gremlins

 With no disrespect intended to gremlins, we have had more than our
fair share of them in the last six months! We apologise for the
technical difficulties, and thank you for your patience in bearing
with us. We are putting in place a powerful suite of systems that
will help us prepare for the much higher levels of activity and
discussion that we already see happening as energy prices rise and
some of our exciting new Initiatives, such as Local Energy Farms (see
feature story "Local Energy Farm Initiative"). and Community Supported
Manufacturing (which we shall feature in the next Newsletter), start
to bear fruit. If you wish to help support this vital communications
infrastructure work, please visit our donations page
{http://www.postcarbon.org/contribute/donate}.

 New Book: /Relocalize Now! /

 One of the main projects we have been working on is a book outlining
Post Carbon Institute {http://www.postcarbon.org/}'s philosophies,
goals, analysis, and, most importantly, suggested action plans for
those concerned about peak oil, climate change and environmental
degradation. The book is called Relocalize Now! Getting Ready for
Climate Change and the End of Cheap Oil (see the News Update
section). This book is the foundation and master plan for Post
Carbon's future direction. It will be a must-read for all Outposts
{http://www.postcarbon.org/outposts} and Relocalization Network
associates, and for anyone interested in making a big reduction in
their energy use.

 Other major Post Carbon Institute activities include attendance at
the ASPO conference in Lisbon, Portugal this May (see feature story
"The ASPO Conference"). While in Europe, two Post Carbon directors
traveled to England to meet with British environmentalists and
climate change experts there (see feature story "Post Carbon
Institute Gives Peak Oil Presentation in England"). And Post Carbon
Institute is working on a new prototype Local Energy Farm project
(see feature story "Local Energy Farm Initiative").

 2. The Relocalization Network Grows – Outpost News in Brief

 In our next and future Post Carbon Newsletters, we shall be
featuring the outstanding work of Outposts
{http://www.postcarbon.org/outposts} and affiliates in the
Relocalization Network. For now, you can and look at Relocalization
Network {http://www.postcarbon.org/groups} to see the nearly twenty
Outposts who already have web sites. There are several more who are
about to be listed, and we are very pleased to be working with some
larger existing organizations who have asked to be affiliated to the
Relocalization Network - the Network is designed to include Outposts
and other groups. Much of our technical communications effort is
concentrated on developing a worldwide system to allow groups in the
Relocalization Network to learn from each other, and to share and
search for information about projects easily. We are developing new
tools for Outposts so that they can communicate within their
membership and with each other, so that we can build a network of
shared expertise, experience and strengths. We shall have much more
on the development of the Relocalization Network in the next few
weeks, including some major new announcements about projects that you
can participate in and develop!

3. The ASPO Conference

On May 19th and 20th in Lisbon, Portugal, Post Carbon Institute's
Julian Darley, Dave Room, and Celine Rich attended the fourth annual
Workshop of ASPO (The Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas)
{http://www.peakoil.net/} .

 The range of speakers was very wide and knowledgeable, and will
undoubtedly contribute to a wider and deeper understanding of our
Peak Oil situation. This year's presentations included Post Carbon
Institute Board {http://www.metafoundation.org/board.php} Member,
Richard Heinberg, who spoke about 'The Likely Impact of Peak Oil on
the United States'. The full text can be found
here:http://www.postcarbon.org/files/ASPO2005_Heinberg-1.pdf
{http://www.postcarbon.org/files/ASPO2005_Heinberg-1.pdf}

 For Global Public Media we recorded the entire Workshop, in
collaboration with Greg Greene (director of End of Suburbia
{http://eos.postcarbon.org}) and Faith Morgan (of Community Solutions
{http://www.communitysolution.org/index.html}). We hope to raise
enough money (donate to Post Carbon Institute
{http://www.postcarbon.org/contribute/donate}) to be able edit this
material into a new DVD, with excerpts available on
GlobalPublicMedia.com. Our catalogue of DVDs can be found here: Post
Carbon Store {http://store.postcarbon.org/} {}

 Thank You to Colin Campbell

 After the main ASPO Workshop was over, Post Carbon Institute held a
celebration for Colin Campbell in Lisbon. Julian Darley and Richard
Heinberg thanked Colin for all his hard work in bringing the issue of
Peak Oil to the world and inspiring their own work. Celine Rich
presented Colin with a gift of a photo album to aid him in his new
career as portrait photographer, which he hopes to take up once ASPO
Ireland {http://www.peakoil.ie} is fully established. We also raised
a glass for Colin's partner in peak, geophysicist and graph-maker
extraordinaire, Jean Laherrere.

 4. Local Energy Farm Initiative

 Post Carbon Institute has plans underway to develop prototype
experimental Local Energy Farms in order to demonstrate how reliable
renewable energy can be produced without needing fossil fuel,
nuclear, or 'big' hydro backup. We intend to use this reliable
renewable energy to power Community Supported Manufacturing and be
the central 'pump' for a Local Energy Bank capable of issuing
energy-backed currency. The Local Energy Farm will produce electrical
energy from solar, wind, water and also produce biofuels (including
biogas, bioliquids and biomass). The Local Energy Farm Initiative is
inspired by the example of Professor Tony Marmont, who has actually
created a demonstration energy farm in England [see next item,
Profile: Tony Marmont & Beacon Energy Farm]. We intend to build on
his pioneering work by adding biofuels, developing a Local Energy
Network System, and connecting power directly to relocalised
manufacturing. We aim to develop a set of plans and templates which
will be replicable in a very wide range of communities and places.
Post Carbon Institute is currently looking for the land, initial
finance, and community to begin the first pilot projects for this
exciting new Initiative and we welcome suggestions. We are very
willing to set up several experiments to start with, and we have
already had strong expressions of interest from America and Europe.
Please find more details here
{http://postcarbon.org/energyfarmbrief}.

 5. Profile: Tony Marmont, founder of West Beacon 'energy' Farm

 Tony Marmont currently operates Beacon Energy
{http://www.beaconenergy.co.uk/}], a not-for-profit organization near
Loughborough, England, which is designed to promote renewable energy
techniques. Tony's farm is a demonstration site for renewable energy
production from wind turbines, photovoltaics, pump storage (into a
two-acre lake), hydro heat pumps, and roof collection of rainwater.
The farm now also has a static hydrogen storage system of four
Megawatt hours capacity.

 The sale of his business in 1992 enabled Tony to devote himself
full-time to sustainable energy. He is now a visiting Professor at De
Montfort University {http://www.dmu.ac.uk/} and founder of the
renewable energy organization MRETT, Midlands Renewable Energy
Technology Transfer. Tony Marmont has been responsible for the
foundation of three M.Sc. courses in sustainable and renewable
energies at De Montfort University, Loughborough University
{http://www.lboro.ac.uk/} and The University of Nottingham
{http://www.nottingham.ac.uk}. Julian Darley interviewed Tony Marmont
after touring the Beacon Energy Farm - the video interview is
available now at GlobalPublicMedia.com
{http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/interviews/438}.

 6. Post Carbon News Updates

 Post Carbon Institute's Book due in November 2005

 A major exploration of peak oil, climate change, the problematic
roots of industrial society and how to begin dealing with the
associated problems of these man-made world problems is the subject
of a new book from Post Carbon Institute. Called "Relocalize Now!
Getting Ready for Climate Change and the End of Cheap Oil", the book
is scheduled to be published by New Society Publishers in November
(2005). Stay tuned for excerpts and how to buy this trenchant and
original analysis of industrial society's impact on the planet and
how the "walking worried" can organise and actually prepare their
region for a future with declining fossil fuel supplies.

 Fundraising

 Post Carbon Institute will shortly be launching a big fundraising
campaign called "Plan for Peak". The first goal is to raise '$100k in
100 Days' (100k = 100,000!). We're off to a great start already with a
$15,000 gift thanks to the Levinson Foundation
{http://www.levinsonfoundation.org/}. There will be a separate
Newsletter about the campaign soon, and more details will be posted
at www.postcarbon.org. If you want to jump the gun click here to
donate now! {http://www.postcarbon.org/contribute/donate}

 PEAK OIL: Imposed by Nature - New Documentary

 The new documentary, 'PEAK OIL: Imposed by Nature' has fast become a
hot-selling Post Carbon item. This documentary is great for screenings
with discussions, because it is thought-provoking and only 30 minutes
long. The director, Amund Prestegard, has authorized Post Carbon
Institute and our representatives to screen it publicly and to ask
for donations and/or charge admission. There is a screening program
similar to the one that goes with "End of Suburbia". We invite people
and organizations to host and organize screenings.
> You can find more info - and buy the DVD! - here:
http://imposedbynature.postcarbon.org
{http://imposedbynature.postcarbon.org}

 New Communications Coordinator

 Post Carbon Institute is pleased to announce that Milton Ariail will
be taking over the lead communications role from David Room (who is
now North American Director, see below). Milton studied Permaculture
in the mid 1990s, receiving his base level Permaculture Design
Consultant Certificate. He started a Music Video Production Company
in 1998 and went on to direct music videos in Los Angeles. He has
professional experience in many aspects of electronic media
production including Editing, DVD Authoring, Motion Graphics and
Graphic Design.

 David Room is now Director of North American Operations. In his new
role, Dave oversees and directs much of the activity in the United
States and Canada (allowing founder Julian Darley to develop new
links with Europe and create prototypes of Local Energy Farms, Local
Energy Banks, and Community Supported Manufacturing). Dave is
focusing on the development of the Relocalization Network, policy
well as the impacts of peak oil on people of color and on urban life.

 7. Post Carbon Institute Gives Peak Oil Presentation in England

 Following ASPO Lisbon, Julian Darley and Celine Rich spent a week in
England, where Julian Darley gave a peak oil presentation to Sustrans
{http://www.sustrans.org.uk} - a charity that works on practical
projects to encourage people to walk, cycle and use public transport.
Sustrans created the UK National Cycle Network, which offers thousands
of miles of cycle routes on quiet country lanes and traffic-free
paths, using easy-to-follow route signs to connect towns and villages
throughout the United Kingdom. Julian's presentation was well received
and followed by discussions on how organizations can prepare for oil
peak.

 Julian Darley and Celine Rich also held meetings with other
environmentalists, peak oil proponents and researchers in England.
They interviewed Tony Marmont who has built an energy farm in England
(see "The Local Energy Farm Initiative" above) as well as meeting with
Teddy Goldsmith, founder of "The Ecologist
{http://www.theecologist.org/}" magazine. In part, the meeting was to
thank Teddy for his foundation's recent gift to Post Carbon Institute
[see Thanks for JG Foundation Gift
{http://www.postcarbon.org/contribute/thankyou}.

 Julian was interviewed by Permaculture magazine
{http://www.permaculture.co.uk} about our policy of Global
Relocalization, and particularly about Local Energy Farms and
Community Supported Manufacturing. The article is scheduled to be in
the October 2005 issue of Permaculture. Julian was also interviewed
for an Irish film. More details about this film will be published in
future Post Carbon Newsletters as we hear about them.

 Two Books about Peak Oil & Climate Change from British
Environmentalists

 While in England earlier this summer, Post Carbon's Julian Darley
and Celine Rich met with two prominent British environmentalists to
discuss future collaborations: Andrew Simms and Jeremy Leggett, both
of whom have recently finished books.

 Andrew Simms is Policy Director for the highly regarded and heavily
quoted new economics foundation {http://www.neweconomics.org} (nef
for short), based in London. Simms' book, Ecological Debt
{http://www.plutobooks.com/cgi-local/nplutobrows.pl?
chkisbn=0745324045&main=},
published by Pluto Press
{http://www.plutobooks.com/shtml/aboutpluto.shtml}, makes important
mention of peak oil. The new economics foundation is also interested
in relocalization. Simms says that the ecological debts of rich
countries are a bigger threat to global poverty eradication than the
foreign debts of poor countries. He argues that global warming shows
how millions of us are running up long term and life threatening
ecological debts. While these debts go unpaid, millions more living
in poverty in the South suffer the burden of paying dubious foreign
financial debts.

 The book introduces a great paradox of our age: how the global gap
between rich and poor was built on ecological debts that the world's
poorest now pay for. In addition to analysis, the book offers ways we
can stop pushing the planet to the point of being environmentally
bankrupt. For so many of us concerned about climate change and peak
oil, Ecological Debt is doubly to be welcomed since it highlights
both problems and comes from a respected policy voice.
http://www.neweconomics.org {http://www.neweconomics.org}

 Jeremy Leggett is an ex-scientist and oil industry consultant turned
environmentalist and entrepreneur, and a member of the UK government's
Renewables Advisory Board
{http://www.dti.gov.uk/renewables/renew_2.8.htm}. Leggett has become
a figurehead in the environmental world in the UK and beyond. He
founded Britain's most successful solar PV company, Solar Century
{http://www.solarcentury.co.uk/}, which sells and installs solar PV
panels and promotes solar energy. The Guardian
{http://www.guardian.co.uk/} newspaper described Leggett's solar
power company as "standing at the forefront of a renewable energy
revolution".

 Leggett knew about the concept of oil peak at least ten years ago
but initially thought it was such a grim prospect that it couldn't be
true. He changed his mind when Royal Dutch Shell revealed that it had
vastly overstated its world oil reserves
{http://www.energybulletin.net/4235.html}. His book is called 'Half
Gone: Oil, Gas, Hot Air and the Global Energy Crisis' and discusses
the issue of peak oil in detail. The book will be published by
Portobello Books {http://www.portobellobooks.com/} in November 2005.

 8. Next Newsletter Preview

 In the next Post Carbon Newsletter (#7), we will feature profiles of
Outposts and of one our Board Members. We shall also outline Community
Supported Manufacturing. Julian Darley will report on the FEASTA
conference on food security and peak oil held in Dublin and describe
his fascinating visit to the Centre for Alternative Technology in
Wales. And much more!