[Peakoil] Recent forum

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Thu Apr 7 13:20:57 EST 2005

Hello from Beijing!

Regarding the recent forum, I looked up "Chatham House Rules". There is
only one rule:

The Chatham House Rule reads as follows:

"WHEN A MEETING, OR PART THEREOF, IS HELD UNDER THE CHATHAM HOUSE RULE,
PARTICIPANTS ARE FREE TO USE THE INFORMATION RECEIVED, BUT NEITHER THE
IDENTITY NOR THE AFFILIATION OF THE SPEAKER(S), NOR THAT OF ANY OTHER
PARTICIPANT, MAY BE REVEALED".

So I don't feel constrained to not talk about the forum at all.

The forum was quite fascinating and confirms Peak Oil is a very real issue.

For me the most interesting aspect was the context. It seems very much as
if the Howard government carefully seeking more information on a topic that
scares it deeply. It has assigned a person it can trust to that task, who
they know will at least not advocate "anti-market" solutions and doesn't
buy into climate change. They have deliberately kept the terms of reference
limited and not strayed into crucial areas like food production. ie they
have as yet not sought a comprehensive study of the crisis.

It is also now clear that the Howard Government only became aware of Peak
Oil last year, well after committing to the invasion of Iraq. So it is true
that as far as Howard goes, the War in Iraq was not about oil. But it does
mean Howard has been taken for a ride by the oil-driven neocons, just like
everyone else.

So the Howard Government has an explosive situation on its hands and fears
events will get out of its control. This is largely because the solutions
to Peak Oil are completely outside the thinking of the Government's slash-
and-burn ideology.

That's my quick summary.

Alex

Canberra Oil Awareness Meetup