[Peakoil-announce] Reminder: Ian Dunlop to speak this evening

ACT Peak Oil secretary at act-peakoil.org
Thu May 23 11:05:55 EST 2013

Ian Dunlop also will be on 666 Canberra from about 4:05pm this
afternoon. Hope to see you this evening:

http://act-peakoil.org/node/109

Public Meeting

Ian Dunlop -- leading energy and climate change analyst

"Australia's Energy & Climate Change Dilemma - the
case for emergency action"
Hosted by Shane Rattenbury, MLA, ACT
Greens Member for Molonglo

Legislative Assembly

196 London Circuit,
Canberra

5.30 - 6.30pm

Thursday 23 May 2013

Refreshments available from
5pm

Australia is currently living in
a 'Fool's Paradise', ignoring the most critical issues which will impact
upon this country in both the short and long term.
Weighty reports
are being published on the 'official' future of Australia. Scenarios
abound, setting out the implications of differing assumptions for the
future of our children and grandchildren. All of which would be laudable
were it not for the fact that the critical scenario, of
accelerating
anthropogenic climate change and resource scarcity
particularly peak
oil, is deliberately ignored - apparently too scary for 'political
realism' to contemplate.
Whether business or politics like it or
not, climate change and peak oil are going to be the key drivers of policy
from now on. However, matters have been allowed to drift for so long that
both climate change and peak oil can only now be solved by emergency
action.
Australia has enormous ingenuity, low-carbon resources and
opportunities, but only if we are honest about the real challenge and
initiate our own emergency response.

Meeting
organised by ACT Peak Oil http://act-peakoil.org/
Further