No subject

Fri Feb 5 08:20:49 UTC 2010

politics, energy is the driving force behind most everything on the =
planet.  POWERING THE FUTUREputs energy on the national stage, =
addressing the challenge from every angle and cutting through the noise =
by establishing a target:  identifying a clean, limitless, secure energy =
supply and addressing how it could possibly be delivered.  Producers =
traveled to more than 30 different locations around the world-from an =
offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico to the oil sands of Canada, =
from Washington, D.C., to Beijing, China-to meet with the people at the =
heart of the issue.=20

"We are the energy generation, but we as Americans do not fundamentally =
understand what energy is, where it comes from, how we use it and how =
much we need," said Dr. Sanjayan.  "POWERING THE FUTURE aims to help =
educate viewers and empower them to take action with their personal =
energy needs.  Watch the show and you won't throw a light switch, eat a =
hamburger, drive a car, fly a plane or look at the New York City skyline =
the same way again."

"POWERING THE FUTURE was developed through the extraordinary vision of =
our founder and chairman John Hendricks," said Clark Bunting, president =
and general manager of Discovery Channel and president of Science =
Channel.  "At a time when the nation's attention is sharply focused on =
both our dependence on and the dangers of fossil fuels, Discovery =
Channel delivers the most complete study of how we can transform our =
energy needs and what our energy future will look like."

"POWERING THE FUTURE continues Discovery Communications' long tradition =
of showcasing compelling and contemporary programming that both engages =
and informs on topics of critical importance to the world we live in," =
said Carole Tomko, president and general manager of Discovery Studios.  =
"We are excited to put the full resources of Discovery Studios behind =
Discovery Channel in its efforts to illuminate one of the most pressing =
issues of our time."

In the first episode, The Energy Revolution, airing Saturday, July 17, =
at 8 PM (ET/PT), Sanjayan explores the beginnings of a shift in energy =
use that will change the world.  Whether for national security, the =
economy or the health of our planet, there are as many drivers for =
change as there are technologies vying for a top spot.  The hope is for =
a silver bullet to solve the problem all at once; the reality is that =
mankind is looking at the next industrial revolution, requiring the =
greatest minds and all the creativity we can harness.  The episode looks =
at cutting-edge technologies that could allow us to break our dependence =
on fossil fuels.

Additional episodes of POWERING THE FUTURE include (all times ET/PT):

The Energy Planet

World Premiere, Saturday, July 17, at 9 PM

Starting from an offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico, Sanjayan =
looks at how the abundance of the planet's energy fuels every aspect of =
life on Earth.  From wind, water, the sun, volcanoes and hurricanes, =
from the smallest cells to the tallest trees, Earth has the natural =
energy to power the planet, but mankind is not using it.  What can =
humans learn from the creation of the natural world that will help =
create energy?=20

Striking a Balance

World Premiere, Sunday, July 18, at 8 PM

We are bombarded daily with conflicting messages about energy from =
sources with vastly different agendas and motives.  This episode filters =
out politics and special interests by looking at numbers:  How many =
people will be on the planet by 2050, and how much energy will we need?  =
What happens if we grow and consume at our current rate?  It's common =
knowledge that we use enormous amounts of energy, but until it's =
quantified, it's impossible to grasp the true extent of how much is =
wasted.

Leading the Charge

World Premiere, Sunday, July 18, at 9 PM

Unlikely characters and companies are leading the charge in an energy =
sea change.  The U.S. Navy, China and even the Empire State Building (or =
your next-door neighbor)-when it comes to energy, these unlikely forces =
are slashing their carbon footprints and propelling the new economy.  =
But it's happening around the world faster than in the United States.  =