[Peakoil-announce] ANU public lecture: 9 Sept (6:00PM-7:30PM) Climate Tipping Points: the Science and the Politics

Ben Davies ben.davies at anu.edu.au
Fri Sep 5 03:35:33 UTC 2008

From: http://billboard.anu.edu.au/event_view.asp?id=33504

Part 1 - by Andrew Glikson - Earth scientist researching the history of Earth, mass extinction of species and climate change.

Studies of Antarctica and Greenland ice cores indicate abrupt warming events during the recent history of Earth, triggered by solar forcing and reaching decade-scale tipping points, were related to ice melt/warm water feedback effects and carbon cycle feedbacks from warming oceans and drying biosphere. Current climate change, forced by the infra-red radiation effects of CO2 and CH4 derived from the burning of over 300 billion tons of Carbon, accelerated from the mid-1970s, is threatening to reach tipping points. According to leading US climate scientists the current CO2 levels of 387 ppm are already at dangerous levels, calling for urgent reduction in carbon emissions as well as attempts at developing CO2 draw-down technologies.

Part 2 - by Geoff Davies - The Hopeful, Neglected Path

Most of the public discussion of global warming misses key points, and our best opportunities. The policy debate should not be about whether human-caused global warming is "proven" - in strictest terms it is not. The policy debate should start from the best collective judgement of scientists, which is very clear, that there's a high risk we are causing global warming. The quickest and cheapest way to cut greenhouse emissions is to cut energy waste dramatically. This will actually save money in the early stages. Renewable energy sources then become sufficient and cost-effective. Politics as usual is failing. The major parties only hear the polluters whispering in their ears. We need people to reclaim politics and the Parliament.
Speaker/Host: 	Andrew Glikson & Geoff Davies/ANU Zero Emissions Society
Venue: 	Manning Clark Centre Theatre 1