[Peakoil-announce] Fwd: Canberra relocalisation

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Wed Nov 22 13:21:42 EST 2006

I got an email message from the Post Carbon Institute Australiasian
coordinator, see below.

Who's in interested in getting started with a Canberra-region
relocalisation project? Some of you are well on your way to PowerDown, what
can we do to link these efforts?

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil
http://act-peakoil.org

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

Hi Alex,

My name is Andi Hazelwood, I'm the Australasian Regional Coordinator for
Post Carbon Institute's Relocalization Network. The network consists of
130 groups in 11 different countries, all working towards relocalising
their communities in response to peak oil and climate change.

The strategy of relocalisation is to move towards producing food,
energy, water and goods and services locally- and for consumers to
source those things locally. Obviously this reduces the community's
reliance on fossil fuels and strengthens the local economy, making the
community better equipped to deal with the varying effects of oil
depletion. Cuba began relocalising when they had no other choice. The
goal of the Relocalization Network is to begin relocalising now, so that
the projects and systems are already mature and vital when they're
needed- be that in 5 years or 20. You can learn more here:
http://www.relocalize.net/about/relocalization

Would ACT Peak Oil be interested in joining the Relocalization Network
and starting some on-the-ground relocalisation projects? Or do you know
people who would have the ambition to take on these kinds of projects?
I've been contacted by a Canberra resident who is interested in starting
a Canberra relocalisation group but doesn't know any likeminded
commuinty members that can work together to facilitate change. As such,
he's feeling a bit helpless and alone in the matter. I'm going to send
him links to act-peakoil.org and your discussion list. I hope that
together you'll be able to get things happening in Canberra.

For more information about the Relocalization Network, please see our
website: www.relocalize.net You can learn more about how to start a
group here: http://www.relocalize.net/join It's entirely free, the
website is just a tool to help groups to relocalise.

My own relocalisation group is called Relocalisation Works in the
Burnett Inland (RWBI). We've just gotten started and are working on
community education about peak oil and relocalisation, and raising our
membership numbers. Our near term goals are to initiate local
trade/barter systems, permaculture community gardens, and a community
supported transport system. In the long term we'd like to see
region-wide adoption of the Oil Depletion Protocol, energy dependence
and security for our critical services and public works, and even
revitalisation of regional rail for transport. We're online here:
www.rwbi.org

I hope to hear from you soon, Alex- thanks for your time!

Andi Hazelwood
Relocalization Network Australasian Regional Coordinator
Post Carbon Institute

(07) 4126 0226

www.relocalize.net

www.postcarbon.org

Local Communities.   Global Connections.