[Peakoil-announce] Fwd: Dinner with Tim Flannery this Friday

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Tue Sep 27 11:37:23 EST 2005

The RSVP is today at 4pm! I'll be going.

Tim Flannery is a leading figure against climate change though he has yet
to mention Peak Oil.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list
http://act-peakoil.org

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

Hi Everyone,

Acclaimed man of science, thinker, and author Tim Flannery, who wrote the
best-selling environmental anthology of Australasia, The Future Eaters, is
back in print with his new book, The Weather Makers.  A summary of the
book is below.

There will be a Literary Dinner with Tim Flannery this Friday 30 September
at 7PM at the Hyatt Hotel Canberra.  Cost per ticket is $55.  We have
reserved a couple of tables for this exciting event, so if you would like
to attend, please e-mail info at mikehettinger.com and we will put you on the
list.

Please e-mail info at mikehettinger.com by tomorrow (Tuesday ) *4PM* so we can
finalise numbers!

Cheers,

Mike

The Weather Makers: The History & Future Impact of Climate Change

Tim Flannery

The last 10,000 years have been humanity's day in the sun: we planted the
first crops, domesticated animals, and built the first civilisations - and
all of this happened not once but many times independently in different
parts of the world. But all that is about to change. Our civilisation is
facing its greatest threat - an unprecedented heating of our planet that
looks set to destroy the first global civilisation humanity has ever
developed. Ironically, the very substance that allowed humans to develop
that civilisation - fossil fuels - is the cause of the looming
catastrophe.

In this groundbreaking and essential new book Tim Flannery argues
passionately for the need to address - now - the implications of a global
change that is damaging all life on earth and endangering our very
survival.

This book is accessible for every interested Australian. In addition to
explaining the background story of global warming, it provides a clear
outline of what each of us can do to avoid catastrophe. It is a global
call to arms, laying out plainly what we know, what we think might happen,
and what tools we have available to us to make a difference.