[Peakoil-announce] Branching out: Rail, ALP conference

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Mon Aug 1 11:51:36 EST 2005

Hi folks,

On Saturday I spent the day talking with all sorts of interesting people
about Peak Oil and related topics. I got rid of lots of bumper stickers and
leafelts, and there are now over 70 people on this list. I was at the ACT
ALP conference, not as a delegate as normal, but just to look after the
environment committee table. It was the most productive time I've had at
such a conference. Peak Oil is now pretty uncontroversial. The neccessity
of preparing for Peak Oil is not in question, so the next step is getting
people to break out of the managerial frame of mind that says change is
impossible.

The weekend before, Sarah and I joined the Australian Railway Historical
Society (ACT)

http://www.arhsact.org.au/

They are complete rail enthusiasts. They have their own rail yard at
Canberra station in Kingston, and lots of rolling stock ( ie carriages ). A
friend who is a member has been busy repairing the line between Queanbeyan
and Royalla - the ARHSACT actually owns the lease.

As the oil price increases, the inherent energy-efficiency of rail should
become compelling. The train buffs have held out for decades against the
dominance of cars. But soon rail will not just be historical, it will be
the future.

We need to branch out and create a big coalition of people who advocate
for, and have know-how in, things such as organic farming and permaculture,
rail, small-scale renewable energy systems... the list is long and will
grow.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list