[Peakoil-announce] Three great article in the SMH

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Sat Apr 2 12:32:18 EST 2005

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Running-on-
empty/2005/04/01/1112302233942.html

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/01/1112302240840.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Have-chips-will-travel-say-frydrive-
duo/2005/04/01/1112302240801.html

>From the second article:

The federal Industry Minister, Ian MacFarlane, said Australia's response
was "a combination of increased exploration, new technologies and a re-
balancing of the overall mix of fuels used in the country with the
addition of renewable alternatives and gas".

One loser could be the environment. The Government's energy white paper
last year made oil drilling on the Great Barrier Reef a priority, while
the US Congress last month approved President George Bush's plan to allow
oil exploration in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Meanwhile, as the crisis looms, Australia is busily shipping what remains
of our oil and gas overseas as fast as tankers can carry it. Recent deals
worth tens of billions of dollars will give China and South Korea
guaranteed access to output from the North West Shelf for up to 30 years.